Saturday, July 14, 2012

MASTERCLASS LEGENDS: WADE ROBSON

I remember I was around 16 when the Wade Robson Project came out in 2003. I gotten into b-boying and funk styles a couple years prior. There were some good b-boys like DoKnock on Star Search which just came back on the air back in 2002. It was a very interesting scene. There was a lot of creativity back then and that's what influenced me. I had heard about Wade Robson a while ago from the work he's done choreographing for various pop stars.

I'm kind of impartial to choreography especially when they claim it's "Hip-Hop". A lot of the "Hip-Hop" dances are really party dances that came from the Bronx in New York. Also, the choreographers never showed the history of different dances they took these moves from. In fact, that's one of the reasons why I can't watch So You Think You Can Dance. How does a judge like Nigel critique b-boying, popping, or locking when he's never stepped into a circle and held it down in the trenches. I think that's why I respect Wade Robson so much. Not just the fact that he was dancing with Michael Jackson at the age of 5, but he didn't take the route of simply taking classes and getting formally trained. It's not to say that's a bad thing. However, if you are doing a street style dance, you want to keep it as raw and authentic as possible. That's something you don't get from shows like So You Think You Dance. I bet right now Wade would hold it down in the circle if he had to..he gets my respect. Peep the clip below.

No comments:

Post a Comment